Our community outreach mission...
Part of the mission of Conjunto Guantánamo is to educate, research, preserve, arrange, present, perform, and disseminate Afro-Cuban folk and traditional music and dance to adults and children of all nationalities, physical abilities, and cultural and ethnic backgrounds. As such, CG also offers an Outreach program of lectures and workshops with either English, Spanish or bilingual programs specially tailored to adults or children.
Conjunto Guantanamo teaches and performs for people of all ages, unfolding a world of experience for folks of all backgrounds within the context of traditional Cuban music and dance.
At the Global Voices Workshop, Richmond Folk Festival, Virginia 2019
At the Global Voices Workshop, Lowell Folk Festival, Massachusetts 2014
About Our Adults Program
The program embarks on a journey through Cuban music basics and the unique world that surrounds it.
• Students begin by learning about the two different "clave" rhythms
• Next students explore the basic minor percussion instruments such as maracas, guiro, and cowbell
• Then they move on to learn a few basic musical building-block Cuban rhythms such as "tumbao" and "martillo" on their corresponding drums (conga and bongó)
• Students also learn other basics of Cuban son and differences between a slow and a fast tempo songs such as the Bolero and the Guaracha
In the end, Students come away with a sense of how truly fun it is to authentically play and dance to traditional Cuban music by following its simple structure.
About Our Kids Program
PROGRAM FOR SCHOOLS
Conjunto Guantanamo teaches and performs for adults or children, unfolding a world of experience for students of all backgrounds in the context of Cuban traditional music and dance.
With English, Spanish and bilingual programs specially tailored to adults or children ------ (and mindful of the State of New York Educational Goals for Music and Dance which seek to empower students to:)
- Understand the principal sensory, formal, technical, and expressive qualities of music and dance.
- Identify processes and tools required to produce music and dance.
- Demonstrate basic skills necessary to participate in the creation and/or performance of music and/or dance.
- Identify significant works in the arts from major historical periods and how they reflect societies, cultures, civilizations, past, and present.
- Describe the unique characteristics of music and dance.